There is a cool benefit show going down tomorrow (Saturday, August 19) at James Street Gastropub for the American Heart Association featuring a bunch of blog faves including Heavy Chest, Essential Machine and The Petals. Opening the night will be an acoustic set from some members of reggae jamsters Brahctopus. I want to thank lead ‘Brah’ Ethan Kovalcik (Ukulele/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
- The first album you ever bought?
- 50 Cent- Get Rich or Die Tryin’. I was young and bought it from a kid on my school bus thinking I was cool since it had a “parental advisory”. I absolutely hated it.
- Your last album bought?
- State of Mind by Quincy Mumford & the Reason Why. Great funky friends from Asbury Park, NJ!
- Favorite album of all time?
- Sublime – 40oz.to Freedom. Bradley Nowell is one of my biggest influences; without that album I wouldn’t be playing the style of music I am today.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- Anything from Nickleback or Buck Cherry… Or maybe the 50 Cent one. That’s a toss-up.
- First concert attended?
- *NSYNC when I was 9 years old at Star Lake Amphitheater. And no, I’m not embarrassed by that!
- Last concert?
- Phish at Petersen Event Center July 19, 2017. Un…real…
- Favorite concert ever?
- Has to be the first time I saw Phish. I was a freshman in college and traveled to Cincinnati with some close friends. It was quite an epic trip!
- Least favorite concert?
- The time I went to Warped Tour in high school. I didn’t really enjoy any of the music and I also had a minor run in with the police.
- Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
My favorite thing about Pittsburgh is how the local music scene is coming together. It’s really starting to flourish for all genres of music. Everyone is working together to set up gigs, festivals and we’re starting to see a huge burst of combining the visual arts with the music. It’s a great time to be a Pittsburgh Musician!
Thanks, Ethan. Should be a sweet time tomorrow. So tell me how you define ‘minor’ run in?