Jon Belan’s alter ego, Gene The Werewolf, is one of the city’s more popular rock bands playing. They have TWO big performances tonight. The early show is at Stage AE opening for The Clarks in celebration of the Steelers AFC Play-off game on Sunday. They also play later on at the Altar Bar in celebration of my friends at Drusky Entertainment’s 5th Year Anniversary.
They have also released a way cool updated version of the famous Pittsburgh Steelers Polka song. You can listen/download it here. Gene was nice enough to participate in this week’s special BLACK & GOLD edition of First/Last Friday.
- The first album you ever bought?
- Growing up in a musical family, I started listening to music long before I could ever buy it on my own. But the first album I ever bought on my own, with my own money, was Metallica – “And Justice For All…”
- Your last album bought?
- To be completely honest, the last album I bought was AC/DC – “Highway To Hell”. I had this on cassette when I was a young buck, and took it to school on my walkman, and it got stolen out of my locker. I had never got a new one. So the last time I was at the mall, I saw it sitting there, and got the sudden urge to buy it again, still just as badass!
- Favorite album of all time?
- The Beatles – “White Album”.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- Gene does not buy, let alone support crappy music, so therefore he does not own any. So to be fair and answer your question, lets just say “everything released in 2010”.
- First concert attended?
- Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band – The Civic Arena, sometime in the mid 80’s. Maybe 1986?
- Last concert?
- Paul McCartney – The Consol Energy Center, last August 2010.
- Favorite concert ever?
- I’ll have to go with Paul McCartney last August. If you meant my favorite Gene show, December 29, @ Stage AE w. The Clarks!
- Least favorite concert?
- I went to see Phil Collins with my friend and his parents at the old Starlake Amp in the 90’s. I remember being bored to death, and couldn’t wait to leave.
- Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- We love Pittsburgh, and are so proud to be a part of such an amazing city. The music is great, we are HUGE Steelers fans, and honestly can’t imagine being from somewhere else. In fact, we love to make fun of musicians that leave Pittsburgh and try to move to California,to try and “make it”. People that have to leave, and drown themselves in such a larger pool of posers, truly shouldn’t be here anyways!
Thanks Gene. Good luck on the shows tonight. Hopefully, we’ll all be celebrating Sunday night!