One of the great surprises for me this year was discovering The Moondoggies. They opened for Blitzen Trapper at Diesel in June and I thought they were great, even better than the headliner. They put out their second album in the fall and singer/guitarist Kevin Murphy was cool enough to participate in this penultimate edition of the 2010 year end First/Last countdown.
- The first album you ever bought?
- I think it was The Beatles Past Masters vol II…it was my first purchased cd…but I was really raised on mix tapes and my sister’s cd collection so I didn’t really NEED to have my own until around 5th grade. They got me started early.
- Your last album bought?
- The Ted lucas reissue…I can tell you the next album I will buy. The Jim Sullivan U.F.O record on the Light in the Attic label. It’s rad.
- Favorite album of all time?
- I don’t have a favorite, it’s a temperamental thing…depends how I feel at the time. If I had to pick it might be a Beatles album…White Album or something.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- I can’t say specifically, but I’m sure we’ve all picked up a record from someone we liked and it was maybe say something from the 80’s or during a time they weren’t the most creative or were really hung up on a drug or something like that.
- First concert attended?
- Well I was raised in the church early on and there were “events” and I went to those type of things, but legit shows were all ages festivals in middle school like Bumbershoot here in Seattle. Sean Lennon was someone I remember seeing there, and Cracker. Of course local battle of the bands type events happened around that time too.
- Cave Singers….we opened but I stayed out of the green room to enjoy it all. Sometimes on tour I spend a little part of the show chilling out away from the cluster of people…I get anxiety if I’m around that kind of atmosphere every night non stop.
- Favorite concert ever?
- A few of my favorites were Blonde Redhead, Built To Spill, Neil Young, Murder City Devils…I have a hard time saying different kind of shows are better then another because It’s different experiences.
- Least favorite concert?
- I saw Lou Reed perform The Raven like 6 years ago, I really tried to enjoy it…but…eh.
- Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- HA! You want me to mention how Superbowl 40 was a big joke?
- Thanks Kevin. Being a Steelers fan, I do have to kind of/sort of/maybe agree with your opinion of Super Bowl 40. Possibly…