“My parents met on a plane, so being a gypsy was always in my genes..” For the last ten years, Irish-Australian artist Kiernan McMullan has made an impression around the world at sold-out shows, festivals, and touring with well-established talent. With nothing but a plane ticket, a hiking bag and a guitar, he flew to the US and hitched and bussed from gig to gig, playing shows every other day. His most recent record, Two Years, was recorded in Ireland and tells the story of the last two years he spent in America, and follows up as his second full-length album.”
Check out Kiernan McMullen on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter and Reverbnation. He hits Pittsburgh tomorrow night at Howler’s touring behind his latest release, “Two Years“, with support from Zack Schmitt and Ryan Taylor. My thanks to him for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
- The first album you ever bought?
- My first tape was Hootie & The Blowfish, “Cracked Rear View”.
- Your last album bought?
- “Corner Store” by Sidewalk Chalk.
- Favorite album of all time?
- The Temptations, “Rage Against The Machine” by Rage Against The Machine, “Transatlanticism” by Death Cab for Cutie, “Bleed American” by Jimmy Eat World.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- “St. Anger” by Metallica.
- First concert attended?
- ‘Monster Jam’ (Nelly, Ja Rule, Pink, Eve, Destiny’s Child, DMX, Lil’ Kim, etc.).
- Last concert?
- Rufus Wainright at The Ryman.
- Favorite concert ever?
- Oxygen Festival in Ireland (James Brown, The Who, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against The Machine).
- Least favorite concert?
- Deicide (a metal band) in Dublin, Ireland.
- Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- My first show in Pittsburgh was when I was hitchhiking in 2008, and I played at Chatham University in a basement that looked like a scene from Saw. My next show after that was in a video game arcade. You guys know how to drink.
Thanks, Kiernan. Thankfully, Howler’s doesn’t look like the room in ‘Saw’…well. not that much???