We formed out of the pieces of a couple of Jackson bands. Just kinda worked out and we’ve kept doing it.”
Check out the band on Facebook and BandCamp. As part of my ongoing coverage of the Paste 50 States Project, I hit Mississippi with Spacewolf. The band is finishing up the follow up to their fantastic self-titled debut from 2011. Huge thanks to Drew McKercher (Guitars/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
- The first album you ever bought?
- The first album that I remember actually purchasing with my own money was En Vogue “Funky Divas”. Haven’t heard it in forever but I’m sure it’s just as good as I remember it being. Those girls could wail.
- Your last album bought?
- Water Liars “Wyoming”. Absolutely incredible record. And the new Queens of the Stone Age… also incredible work. Their best yet in my opinion.
- Favorite album of all time?
- Tough question, but I’m gonna have to go with Miles Davis “Live Evil”. I never get tired of it… you can learn and un-learn a lot about music with that record. Runner ups would be Led Zeppelin “Houses of the Holy”, Buena Vista Social Club, Curtis Mayfield “Superfly”, Flaming Lips “Soft Bulletin”, National “Boxer”, Wilco “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot”, Tom Waits “Bone Machine”… better stop there. Thiscould go on for days.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- This is a really tough one… I actually really liked the first two Coldplay records. I’d say anything after that is a complete disappointment. Radiohead’s “King of Limbs” was a bit of a letdown for me until I heard them doing it live on the “From the Basement” series. Now I love it.
- First concert attended?
- Clint Black… no comments there.
- Last concert?
- Yo La Tengo this past May at Tipitina’s in New Orleans. One of the greatest bands around, fantastic show.
- Favorite concert ever?
- Hard to say. Maybe Modest Mouse at the House of Blues in New Orleans somewhere around ’05 or ’06. I remember the sound being fantastic and the band being spot on. Plus they had Johnny Marr with them on guitar at the time, which was a major bonus.
- Least favorite concert?
- Blue Oytser Cult at the Jackson Coliseum… love the band, but the sound was really disappointing. I was really pumped about the show and it was a huge letdown.
- Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- I’ve only been in the airport… would like to come check it out someday.
Thanks so much, Drew. Love the tease for the new album. Please let me know when it’s available.