“This isn’t your normal“guy-records-album-in-remote-cabin” story… Quite the contrary, actually. There was no hushed introspection, loneliness or sonic sparseness that comes with your usual cabin album. Just rock. The brothers LaBuda and friend Joel Fagre, armed only with their wits and a musical itch, holed themselves up in a cabin and had one hell of a good time. They also happened to lay down some killer tracks that later became their 2011 EP “Thanks For Caring”. Young Fangs’ sound ranges from synth-charged rock to steady, bass-thumping swing. With dual vocal attack of Brennan and Joshua LaBuda and the commanding trap work from Fagre, the band recalls both Tokyo Police Club and Band of Horses. Though in their infancy, Young Fangs have toured Hawaii and have managed some high profile gigs opening for Portugal. The Man, and AWOL Nation. Look for a full length spring 2013.”
Check out the band at their official Website, Facebook, BandCamp, and SoundCloud. As part of my coverage of the Paste 50 States Project, I chill in Alaska with Young Fangs. My thanks to Joshua Labuda (Guitar/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
- First album you ever bought?
- “A Mark, a Mission, a Brand, a Scar” by Dashboard Confessional with my first paycheck from my first real job. Still a favorite.
- Your last album bought?
- The new Foals record “Holy Fire”. I thought I would hate it, but apart from the first three tracks, it’s perfect.
- Favorite album of all time?
- Oh, man. That would have to be “Midnight Organ Fight” by Frightened Rabbit. That album has a raw honesty and powerful composition that never ceases to inspire me.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- This one is easy. The most recent Saves The Day record “Daybreak”. I’ve never skipped so many songs on a first listen. Usually, I try to hear every song out no matter what, but that album was the great exception. I love Saves The Day, too. So it made it that much more difficult.
- First concert attended?
- It was a bunch of my favorite local bands when I was living in Hawaii (we’re in Alaska right now). I think the lineup was Arkeo, David Tamaoka, and then Pennylane. My girlfriend at the time and I got dropped off by my mom. I felt so grown up.
- Last concert?
- John Mark McMillan. My wife and I were in Portland to see my family and he happened to be playing and I couldn’t believe my luck. I had a bunch of pictures of me and the band together that I took with a disposable camera I found. Then the photo place lost the camera. I will always be bitter. Always.
- Favorite concert ever?
- When I took my brother to see Brand New during their ‘God and Devil…’ Tour. it was perfect.
- Least favorite concert?
- Probably one of our concerts. Ha.
- Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- We’d love to visit!
Thanks, Joshua. Visit Pittsburgh? Believe me, we’d love to have you.