“Tunnels for Star Veins” combines multiple genres, spanning from house, hip hop, ambient, downtempo, disco and more. While based in synthesizers and electronics Rusnak regularly incorporates drums, guitar, bass and vocals into his recordings. Computer-less live sets include improvised song forms on analog gear and luminous butterflies.”
Glo Phase is the is the solo electronic project for Pittsburgh musician Joseph Rusnak. Self described as dreamy dance/chill music, Glo Phase recently released a new EP entitled Prisma. I want to thank Joseph for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
- The first album you ever bought?
- MC Hammer – Please Hammer, Don’t Hurt ‘Em.
- Your last album bought?
- A bit of a tie here, was recently listening to DJ Firefly’s show on WRCT and couldn’t stop buying albums: Grouse – Oslo, My Neighbor Is – Moon’s Reflection on a Quiet Lake, George Sarah – Min and Elsa EP, Franc Moody – EP.
- Favorite album of all time?
- Super tough question, two of my most listened to are Röyksopp Melody A.M. and Brazilian Girls Brazilian Girls.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- I was so disappointed by Daft Punk Random Access Memories. I probably should add their 2001 release Discovery to my most listened to.
- First concert attended?
- Rolling Stones at Three Rivers Stadium 1994. I was pretty young, my parents took me and a friend. Probably the first time I’d ever smelled weed (I should hope).
- Last concert?
- If DJ sets count I went to LTJ Bukem last week at Hot Mass. The last band I saw would be Anjroy who played my EP release the week prior to.
- Favorite concert ever?
- A Japanese artist, Cornelius on his ‘Point’ tour. I saw him in Boston after only recently becoming familiar with his music and it was a mind blowing experience. Radiohead on their ‘Amnesiac’ tour would be a close second.
- Least favorite concert?
- I saw an early Washed Out show that was all around pretty bad. In his defense I’ve heard he has stepped it up a bit since.
- Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- “I didn’t speak English until I came to Pittsburgh.” – Mario Lemieux
Thanks, Joe. I was at that Stones show. That ended up being the last time I saw them. Was tired of the whole bombast of a stadium show and have avoided going to see bands in huge venues like that.