“With Gold Motel, it’s always summer, the bags are always packed, and the car is always running. Beneath tight pop hooks and warm melodies, Gold Motel’s songs are infused with joyous exuberance as well as sweet melancholy. The Chicago-based quintet originated in warmer climates, Los Angeles in the summer of 2009. Greta Morgan (The Hush Sound) returned from a year in Southern California to her hometown of Chicago, bringing with her what would become the five song Gold Motel EP. Collaborating with her friend Dan Duzsynzski (This Is Me Smiling), recording began on a set of sharp, sunny pop songs with a decidedly West Coast outlook. Working with Duzsynski, Morgan realized that her pre-conceived solo project could grow into a full bandeffort.”
I have been a long time fan of Gold Motel, who have just released their sophomore self titled album and I can attest, it’s as great as their debut. My thanks to Greta Morgan (Vocals/Keyboard), Dan Duzsynski (Vocals, Guitar). and Eric Hehr (Guitar) for taking the time to aprticipate in this edition of First/Last.
- The first album you ever bought?
- Greta Morgan: The Get Up Kids, “Red Letter Day EP”. I was eleven years old and bought it with allowance money.
- Dan Duszynski: Pretty sure it was Kriss Kross, “I Missed The Bus.”
- Eric Hehr: “Dookie” by Green Day on cassette. “Somewhere More Familiar” by Sister Hazel on CD.
- Your last album bought?
- Greta: My last album bought was “Bridges and Balloons” by Joanna Newsom on vinyl.
- Dan: Kriss Kross, “I Missed The Bus.”, reissue.
- Eric: “Titan: It’s all Pop”. Titan Records Compilation released by Número Group.
- Favorite album of all time?
- Greta: “Harvest” by Neil Young may be my most listened to album of all time.
- Dan: The Beatles, “Abbey Road”.
- Eric: The hardest question ever. By default, I’d say “Is This It” by The Strokes.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- Greta: I just don’t pay attention to the bad albums. Focusing on the good stuff is more fun.
- Dan: Who cares.
- Eric: To coincide with my last answer, I was really disappointed by the last Strokes album, “Angles”.
- First concert attended?
- Greta: Weezer at the United Center in Chicago.
- Dan: Spin Doctors, Soul Asylum.
- Eric: Everclear/Fastball/Marcy Playground at The Aragon Ballroom in Chicago.
- Last concert?
- reta: My last concert attended was JJAMZ at Satellite in Los Angeles, where there was a secret show by Jenny Lewis, Taylor Goldsmith (DAWES), and Father John Misty.
- Dan: Unknown Mortal Orchestra.
- Eric: We recently played Summerfest and I got to see Robyn live. Before that, The Raveonettes at The Subterranean in Chicago.
- Favorite concert ever?
- Greta: This Is Me Smiling at Lincoln Hall on February 12th, 2010. They are my favorite Chicago band and good friends and they made the whole audience sing Happy Birthday to me.
- Dan: The Pixies opening for Radiohead at Coachella ’03.
- Eric: The Strokes at Park West.
- Least favorite concert?
- Greta: Yo La Tengo at The Vic. I wanted to hear their album “And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out” but they only played one song.
- Dan: Tend to not remember things like that.
- Eric: Yo La Tengo at The Vic.
- Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- Greta: I love playing Mr. Smalls in Pittsburgh because it’s a reconstructed church and the venue allows bands to stay in the old rectory. It’s super creepy, creaky, and seems haunted. Always makes for a good slumber party.
- Dan: Mr. Smalls is cool.
- Eric: The first time I played Pittsburgh it was at the Garfield Artworks. I remember being taken aback by how industrial the city was in contrast to my preconceived notions of it.
Thanks, guys. Hopefully a Pittsburgh date is in the works for the tour!?! Would love to see you again.
Of all the bands that performed this night, the only one I was familiar with Gold Motel. Greta did her First/Last this previous May, and I knew most of the tunes they ended up playing. She mentioned her favorite show was last year when her favorite band sang Happy Birthday to her. Weird that this show fell on her birthday also.
- Gold Motel
- Garfield Artworks
- Friday May 7, 2010
Greta Morgan used to be in a band called The Hush Sound. Her new band is playing GA with Family of the Year and locals Emily Rodgers Band, and summer-winter. She was kind enough to participate in this latest edition of First/Last.