Kevin Bowe + The Okemah Prophets Club Cafe
Friday, February 29, 2013 Southside
“The Okemah Prophets (Oh-kee-mah) are a band out of Minneapolis, led by singer/songwriter Kevin Bowe. Bowe has a long history as a guitarist/writer/producer, landing 3 platinums and songs on 2 Grammy winning albums working with Paul Westerberg, Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Etta James and others. The Okemah Prophets are what happens when he’s singing and playing his own songs….their live shows are a reminder that American rock and roll will always be cool, no indie rock posturing needed here, just soul, songs and a 3 piece band to play them.”
Check out Kevin and the band at the official Website, Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace. They swing into Pittsburgh tomorrow night night in support of their fantastic, latest release, “Natchez Trace“, on a bill with Melinda Colaizzi. My thanks to Kevin for taking a few to participate in this edition of First/Last.
- The first album you ever bought?
- Taj Mahal, “Ooh So Good ‘n’ Blues” but it went downhill from there….
- Your last album bought?
- Johnny Thunders’ “L.A.M.F.” reissue.
- Favorite album of all time?
- Stones’ “Exile On Main St.” and Replacements’ “Pleased To Meet Me”.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- Hmmm…not my place to say! That’s for critics not musicians.
- First concert attended?
- The Guess Who w/ The Average White Band.
- Last concert?
- Street musicians in Dublin. Communist Daughter in Mpls.
- Favorite concert ever?
- The Who in 1976, The Replacements in ’81, several early ’80’s Prince shows.
- Least favorite concert?
- Quarterflash left something to be desired in retrospect. But it was only 92 cents so whatever.
- Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- I played the Club Cafe once before and had a great time, looking forward toseeing Melinda and her band too, I’ve produced them here in Mpls.
Thanks, Kevin. Dig the Pittsburgh connection to Melinda. Should be a sweet show.