“Los Angeles based Psychic Friend has been winning fans over with their winsome brand of “new Californian pop” (SF Bay Guardian). They played their first-ever show at San Francisco’s Noisepop Fest in February, and have since been charming west coast fans at venues like the Silverlake Lounge, and Largo, where they recently shared a bill with Sarah Silverman. When pressed to describe their sound, Schwartz offers the following: “big orchestrated pop songs about [my] transitory life, depression, love, food service, and trying to function without a twitter account. Kind of like the Brill Building re-imagined, or Carole King via Serge Gainsbourg.”
Check out the band at their official Website, Facebook and Twitter. The ‘piano-pop’ band’s latest album, “My Rocks are Dreams” was recently released. Just this week, the cool video for the song, ‘We Do Not Belong‘ starring Sarah Silverman was debuted. I want to thank songwriter Will Schwartz (Piano/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
- The first album you ever bought?
- The first album (cassette tape) I ever bought was probably “Free to be You and Me” or the “Annie” soundtrack. Such an edgy little kid.
- Your last album bought?
- The last album I bought was the Cocteau Twin’s “Heaven Or Las Vegas” because I heard them on the radio and wanted to revisit it. Newer stuff would be the new Daft Punk.
- Favorite album of all time?
- That’s tough. I love “Rumours” by Fleetwood Mac. John and Yoko’s “Double Fantasy”, My Bloody Valentine’s “Loveless”.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- I don’t have a least favorite album, but it’s most disappointing when you’re so excited for one of your favorite band’s or artist’s album and you get it and you don’t love it.
- First concert attended?
- Kool and the Gang with my parents in Vegas.
- Last concert?
- The Isle of Wight Festival (I also played it).
- Favorite concert ever?
- Bjork at the Warfield for the “Post” album, Bjork at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion for “Vespertine”.
- Least favorite concert?
- For some reason The Tindersticks at Bimbo’s was so boring that it was hilarious to my friends and me. We were pantomiming different methods of suicide and laughing inappropriately. So it actually was a lot of fun. Does that count?
- Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- Andy Warhol.
Thanks, Will. Diggin’ the video, man. You are quite the thespian!