“Samantha Crain is an American songwriter, musician, and singer, from Shawnee, Oklahoma. She often played as part of the Ramseur Records band, Samantha Crain and the Midnight Shivers. Also in the band are Jacob Edwards, Andrew Tanz, and Stephen Sebastian. Other musicians involved in various incarnations of her backing band are Jesse Aycock, Eric Arndt, Nathan Price, Anne Lillis, Josh Timbrook, Joey Lemon, James Phillips, Eric Nauni, Ben Wigler, Sherree Chamberlain, Beth Bombara, Ali Harter, and Laura Ortman.”
Samantha plays Pittsburgh tomorrow at Club Cafe on a bill with William Elliott Whitmore and Bluebird Midwest. My thanks to her for taking some time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
- The first album you ever bought?
- “Music Box” by Mariah Carey.
- Your last album bought?
- “Animal Joy” by Shearwater.
- Favorite album of all time?
- “Deja Vu” by Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- I really wanted to love that Lou Reed and Metallica album “Lulu” that came out last year, but it wasn’t listenable.
- First concert attended?
- Petra (a Christian heavy rock band) at Six Flags in Dallas, with my parents when I was 5 years old.
- Last concert?
- Parker Millsap, my new fav Okie songwriter. He’s 19 and from Purcell, Oklahoma.
- Favorite concert ever?
- Dr. Dog in the 200 capacity Barn at Pickathon Festival outside of Portland, Oregon in 2009. I was actually sitting on the stage it was so crowded.
- Least favorite concert?
- Nothing stands out as the worst.
- Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- I do remember walking the streets of Pittsburgh after my last show at Club Cafe (which crazy enough was ALSO with William Elliott Whitmore!) and it was St. Patrick’s Day. Everyone was drunk in the streets and some lady was on the ground crying and had shaving cream all over her face.
Thanks, Samantha. Yeah, Pittsburgh on St. Paddy’s Day is kinda crazy. I usually try to steer clear of anywhere even near a bar.