“Musically, The Gotobeds fit under a kind of catch-all slacker indie-punk umbrella. Early Pavement is one of the most obvious comparisons — the bands share the same kind of defiant looseness — but the group also recalls the freneticism of The Gun Club, the slipshod orderliness of Gang of Four, the brattiness of The Buzzcocks and the punk minimalism of Wire.” – Margaret Welsh (Pittsburgh City Paper)
Check out the band on Facebook, BandCamp and SoundCloud. The Pittsburgh punk quintet are fresh off a SXSW jaunt promoting their latest 7″ “New York’s Alright (If You Like Sex & Phones)” and I want to thank Eli ‘Hazy Lazer’ Kasan (Guitar/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
- The first album you ever bought?
- “The Glory Of Love”, Peter Cetera, though that might’ve been my sister buying it. I remember buying the cassingle of Sir Mix-Alots ‘Baby’s Got Back’ (a 5th grade staple at dances).
- Your last album bought?
- Hard Skin “Why Do Birds Suddenly Appear?”, Neil Young “American Stars N’ Bars”, Nikki Sudden “Bible Belt”, The Jacobites “Robespierre’s Velvet Basement” LPs all at Mind Cure Records in Polish Hill.
- Favorite album of all time?
- The Kinks “Village Green Preservation Society” LP.
- First concert attended?
- Warped Tour 1996. Was ill.
- Last concert?
- Zeitgeist. They’re great.
- Favorite concert ever?
- Lots of choices here! The Ex, Konono No. 1, Elliott Smith, Ray Davies, Belle & Sebastian, Pavement reunion gig, Brain Handle’s final show was great, Eddy Current Suppression Ring all come to mind.
- Least favorite concert ever?
- Warped Tour 2000. Was there working at a record store booth, sucked.
- Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- I love living here. Pittsburgh’s detractors have valid points on what the city lacks but other cities exist that thrive in those areas so people should just move. Best experience? Working at Mind Cure. Dream job for sure!The first album you ever bought?
Thanks, Eli. Are you referring to the Elliott Smith CMU Halloween gig? Man, talk about a concert I wish I was able to see.