“It’s amazing what the power of the internet can do for three friends in a rock band from a small town in Pennsylvania. A little over a year ago, The Winter Brave were all attending college in three separate states. Playing together in a band wasn’t plausible, there was too much distance and not enough time. Fast forward to present day and they’re dominating the front page of Reddit, having Dave Grohl blast their music, appearing on BuzzFeed and performing at SXSW. Now that’s a big change in just one year for a small band from Pennsylvania.” – The Undiscovered
Check out the band on Facebook, SoundCloud, BandCamp, YouTube, Twitter and Reddit. The Pittsburgh ‘Alt-Garage-Funk-Rock’ trio just released their latest EP, “Lonely Days” today and I want to thank Jake Scarpino (Guitar/Lead Vocals), Chris Beaulieu (Bass/Vocals) and Sam Scarpino (Drums/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
- The first album you ever bought?
- Jake Scarpino: “Bleach” Nirvana.
- Chris Beaulieu: Soundtrack to ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’.
- Sam Scarpino: “Hot Fuss” The Killers.
- Your last album bought?
- Jake: “Here and Nowhere Else” Cloud Nothings.
- Chris: “Bitte Orca” Dirty Projectors.
- Sam: “Enter the Slasher House” Avey Tare’s Slasher Flicks.
- Favorite album of all time?
- Jake: Favorite Beatles “Abbey Road”. Non-Beatles “All Or Nothing” by TheSubways, “Only Way to Be Alone” by Good Old War, “Murmur” by R.E.M., “In Your Honor” by Foo Fighters, “Hummingbird” by Local Natives.
- Chris: This is too hard of a question but it’s a tie between “Led Zeppelin II”, Cage the Elephant’s debut album, Mimicking Birds’ debut album, “Loyalty to Loyalty” by Coldwar Kids, and “Visiter” by The Dodos.
- Sam: Favorite Beatles “The White Album”. Non-Beatles Album(s) “Veckatimest” by Grizzly Bear, “Young for Eternity” by The Subways, “Armed Forces” by Elvis Costello, “Look Sharp” by Joe Jackson.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- Jake: “Shaka Rock” Jet. Loved the previous two albums. They seemed to have lost their spark and sadly broke up after.
- Chris: “El Camino” The Black Keys. Loved all previous albums but the newest didn’t do it for me for whatever reason.
- Sam: “Save Rock and Roll” Fallout Boy. Really loved their previous albums, but this wasn’t the Fallout Boy I loved.
- First concert attended?
- Jake and Sam: Paul McCartney in Boston.
- Chris: ‘Weird’ Al in Pittsburgh.
- Last concert?
- Jake and Chris: Typhoon in Portland, Maine.
- Sam: Young the Giant at SXSW.
- Favorite concert ever?
- Jake: Mutemath in Cleveland and Local Natives in Pittsburgh.
- Chris: Mutemath in Cleveland and Arctic Monkeys in Pittsburgh.
- Sam: Mutemath in Cleveland and Silversun Pickups/Cage the Elephant in Pittsburgh.
- Least favorite concert?
- Jake: MGMT in Burlington, VT.
- Chris: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club in Pittsburgh. Energy was not there.
- Sam: The XX in Columbus, OH. A lot of songs had big EDM beats instead the chill feel on the album.
- Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- Jake: We got to open for one of our favorite bands, Crash Kings at the Alter Bar last summer. That was a surreal experience!
- Chris: Being around my family and friends and seeing shows downtown.
- Sam: Eat n’ Park is wonderful. It’s my favorite establishment in Western PA.
Thanks, guys. All three of you guys liking the same show as your Fave ever? Now that’s a tight-knit group.
FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking on a link, I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. The links helps to support this site and will allow me to keep writing about local music.