“Costumes, loud noise, and magic during performances.”
Xavier in the Doghouse is an experimental ‘Apocalyptic Bluegrass’ band from Greensburg, PA. You can check out their just released debut EP, “Swallowing Shadows” as I thank Sean Barill (Banjo/Vocals), Caleb Podolinski (Drums) and Trevor Barry (Bass) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
The first album you ever bought?
- Sean Barill: Something by Jethro Tull maybe – can’t remember.
- Caleb Podolinski: Probably one of Bob Marley’s “Greatest Hits”.
- Trevor Barry: “Follow the Leader” by Korn.
- Your last album bought?
- Sean: edhochuli/Amaget split.
- Caleb: Iron Lung’s “Sexless/ /No Sex”.
- Trevor: “Dead End Kings” by Katatonia.
- Favorite album of all time?
- Sean: “Lonesome Crowded West” Modest Mouse.
- Caleb: Favorite right now is “Building Nothing out of Something” Modest Mouse.
- Trevor: Not sure, maybe “L’Enfaunt Savage” by Gojira.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- Sean: New Flaming Lips stuff is kind of annoying.
- Caleb: Slipknot’s “All Hope Is Gone”.
- First concert attended?
- Sean: My parents own a coffee shop in Greensburg called Dv8, there used to be a bunch of shows there (I run them now) when I was little. Local bands/solo musicians — Tim Krupar, Whiskey Smiles, Sklenik, Channel Scorpion News, Coming Through the Rye. They all inspired me to play.
- Caleb: Foo Fighters at Consol.
- Trevor: First and only “big” show was Gogol Bordello.
- Last concert?
- Sean: Lungs Face Feet at the Shop.
- Caleb: King Dude and Ghost.
- Trevor: Dv8 Metal Fest.
- Favorite concert ever?
- Sean: Pandemic brought What Cheer? Brigade. It was fucking fantastic.
- Caleb: Ghost.
- Least favorite concert?
- Sean: I’ve seen some really terrible pop-punk bands in Greensburg/Jeannette before…
- Caleb: Foo Fighters.
Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- Sean: I went to see my friend’s band Glowworms (he’s now in another heavy brain-melting psychedelic band — Vostok) and Swearin’ (NY) at the Roboto 3/4ish years ago. It was kind of an introduction to how punk shows work. Other than that Pandemic events are always incredible.
- Caleb: When I called in to work and said I was in the hospital so I could stay in the strip longer.
- Trevor: Probably just playing there different times (Bayardstown w/ Lungs Face Feet, Smiling Moose w/ Hunters, Smiling Moose w/ Electric Citizen).
Thanks, guys. I am always saying that there is something special in the water over there in Greensburg. Love the music scene that is exploding there!