“Formed in San Francisco in 2009 by Wooden Shijps guitarist Ripley Johnson and Sanae Yamada, Moon Duo’s first two critically acclaimed EPs, Killing Time (2009) and Escape (2010), fused the futuristic pylon hum and transistor reverb of Suicide or Silver Apples with the heat-haze fuzz of American rock ‘n’ roll to create tracks of blistering, 12-cylinder space rock.”
The albums and bands that come through my life are incalculable. There are so damn many. Sometimes, for whatever reason, something sticks. Like this release, “Circles” by the band Moon Duo.. Psychedelic, shoegaze, electronica, call it what you will (Space Rock…really?), It’s been in my conscience since I was lucky enough to hear it. So cool. My thanks to keyboardist Sanae Yamada for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
- The first album you ever bought?
- Madonna’s “Like a Virgin”. I was 8 and saved up my allowance.
- Your last album bought?
- Don Preston, “Filters, Oscillators & Envelopes”.
- Favorite album of all time?
- That’s a tough one. I can’t really speak to all time, but my favorite at the moment is Chrissy Zebby Tembo’s “My Ancestors”.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- I don’t think I have a “least” favorite, and at any rate I’m not about to publicly diss someone else’s record!
- First concert attended?
- Yikes. UB40, age 13. Everyone else was doing it…
- Last concert?
- King Khan & the Shrines at Dante’s in Portland, OR.
- Favorite concert ever?
- The Heads in Tilburg, Netherlands, 2008.
- Least favorite concert?
- This outdoor set we played at SXSW in 2010. It was freakishly cold for Austin (about 35 degrees) that day and I couldn’t feel my fingers.
- Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- I’ve never been but have heard good things! The fact that it’s Andy Warhol’s hometown lends a distinct intrigue.
Thanks, Sanae. I just love your record. It creeps, man. Come over to Pittsburgh.