“The Culmination EP, the latest from Los Angeles, CA-based acoustic-pop-rock singer-songwriter Eric Mellgren (aka Shotgun Honeymoon), is just that, the culmination of a lot of hard work following up Shotgun Honeymoon’s 2007 debut, Forgone Conclusion (Broken Halo Records). And while the songwriting is all Shotgun Honeymoon, the approach is vastly different, this time preferring to build the songs with a live band, stage after stage, instead of in the studio like he did on his debut. Released in September 2007, Forgone Conclusion was the product of Shotgun Honeymoon’s collaboration with Jeff Trott, building the songs and record in the studio – with studio musicians. The opposite is true with The Culmination EP, as Shotgun Honeymoon delivers a five-track collection of songs that find the songsmith further exploring the sounds he created on the debut, whilealso being more adventurous with the assistance of his backing band.”
Check out Shotgun Honeymoon on Facebook, Amazon, Twitter, and Reverbnation. I have been enjoying this EP and want to thank Eric Mellgren for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
- The first album you ever bought?
- The first album I ever remember buying would have been STP, “Core”. I would record singles from Casey Kasem’s countdown to make mixed tapes when I was young.
- Your last album bought?
- Bicycle Bombay Club, “A Different Kind of Fix”.
- Favorite album of all time?
- That’s tough, I mean really…sigh. DMB’s “Under the Table & Dreaming”, REM’s “Automatic for the People”, “Meet The Beatles”, ‘Stand By Me’ soundtrack, Vivaldi’s “The Four Seasons”, Biggie’s “Ready to Die”, STP’s “Core”, Coldplay’s “Parachutes”. There are just too many.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- STP, “Tiny Music…Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop”. I believe it’s their third record…after “Purple”.
- First concert attended?
- The Rolling Stones in Miami, Florida.
- Last concert?
- Gary Clark Jr. at the Troubador.
- Favorite concert ever?
- Bloc Party at the El Rey.
- Least favorite concert?
- I’ve been to many that didn’t quite keep my attention. I’ve kept the tix to every show I’ve been to. I haven’t counted them yet but am going to make a piece of art out of them one day. What was the question again? Ah yes, least favorite concert. Blue Man Group.
- Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- I almost made a trip to Pittsburgh. I wanted to go see about a girl. She was lovely and sweet. We met in Key West on a whim and kept in touch. She got away. I never made it to Pittsburgh.
Thanks, Eric. Hmmm, wondering if that Key West girl is reading this?