Photo courtesy Andy Ryan
The Big Sleep are a rock duo from Brooklyn who’s latest album ‘Nature Experiments‘ was released on Frenchkiss Records earlier this year. They are touring behind it this Spring, playing shows with Fang Island and stop in Pittsburgh tomorrow night at Brillobox. My boy has two tickets to give away here. Sonya and Danny were nice enough to take some time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
- The first album you ever bought?
- Sonya Balchandani: It was either ‘Thriller’, or the ‘Colour By Numbers’ picture disc.
- Danny Barria: Can’t remember but I know the first record my mom bought me was ‘Electric Avenue’ by Eddy Grant.
- Your last album bought?
- Sonya: Shocking Blue, ‘At Home’.
- Danny: Bill Callahan, ‘Apocalypse’.
- Favorite album of all time?
- Sonya: Hmm, probably ‘Rumours’, with the exception of two songs.
- Danny: Right now, Smog, ‘Knock Knock’.
- Most disappointing album?
- Sonya: Anything by Style Council. The Jam was IT for me when I was younger, so I was thinking I was going to have a whole other love affair, but it didn’t work out that way.
- Danny: The Cure, ‘Mixed Up’.
- First concert attended?
- Sonya: Not sure, maybe Adorable in Philadelphia. It was at a bar that’s not there anymore. They wouldn’t let me in because I was underage, but I told them my dad (who dropped me off) already left, so they let me stand in the back near the door. First stadium show was The Cure on the ‘Wish Tour’ at the Spectrum.
- Danny: Beach Boys, Yankee Stadium, between games at a doubleheader.
- Last concert?
- Sonya: Ego Puppets.
- Danny: Oberhofer at Valley of the Vapors in Hot Springs, AK.
- Favorite concert ever?
- Sonya: That’s tough. I like intimacy more than the big spectacle, maybe a toss-up between The Verve (Northern Soul Tour) and Spiritualized (can’t remember what year, but was with Curve), both in Philly.
- Danny: Verve at the Troc or Portishead at Hammerstein or Everything is Fine at The Charleston or Smog at Upstair’s at Nick’s.
- Least favorite concert?
- Sonya: I just leave.
- Danny: We go to so many shows and festivals and things that nothing really registers on that end of the spectrum.
- Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- Sonya: I love coming through the tunnel and seeing the city. It feels like a revelation. And in my experience, fun, friendly people!
- Danny: Like Milwaukee, Pittsburgh was a lot cooler than I thought it would be and I’ve always had a really good time there. The kids have been cool. We were taken to a speakeasy, and last time I was there I saw Fast 5, which I loved.
Thanks to both of you. It always amazes me how many musician’s first show was The Beach Boys, usually for free and usually before some sort of ballgame!