“Hailing from the city of bridges, The Color Fleet has jumped into the local music scene as a new up and coming indie band. With a wide range of influences, the group has managed to create a unique and upbeat sound with ear catching melodies and harmony driven hooks.”
The Pittsburgh quartet release their debut EP this Saturday at Club Cafe with local favorites The New Victorians (Ben Hardt’s latest band) supporting. My thanks to the female members (who also happen to be the group’s vocalists/guitarists) Lauren and Emma for taking some time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
- The first album you ever bought?
- Lauren Shapiro: Robyn, “Robyn Is Here” (circa 1995).
- Emma Cox: Silverchair, “Frogstomp”.
- Your last album bought?
- Lauren: Metric, “Synthetica”.
- Emma: Fleet Foxes, “Helplessness Blues”.
- Favorite album of all time?
- Lauren: If I’d have to choose I’d go with Michael Jackson, “Off The Wall”.
- Emma: The Clash, “London Calling”.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- Lauren: I honestly can’t think of one, and it’s probably because I never thought of it again after listening the first time.
- Emma: Ben Lee, “Ripe”. I remember being so excited for this to come out and then so disappointed by it. I love everything else he’s put out, but this was a letdown.
- First concert attended?
- Lauren: TLC’s “Crazy Sexy Cool” tour with Boyz II Men and Montell Jordanin ’96.
- Emma: Hanson, 1998.
- Last concert?
- Lauren and Emma: WYEP Summer Music Festival, 2012.
- Favorite concert ever?
- Lauren: The first that comes to mind is Alison Krauss and Union Station at Bonnaroo, ’05.
- Bonnaroo, ’05.
- Emma: Weezer, 2002.
- Least favorite concert?
- Lauren: When I lived in Boston there was a guy in Harvard Square who played the Erhu everyday. I’ve heard nicer things.
- Emma: I usually end up having a pretty great time at every show I go to. Even the ones where the actual performance was not that spectacular.
- Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- Lauren: Well, I’m from here so it feels like home. That’s a pretty big thing to top, I think.
- Emma: I love knowing that no matter where I go, Pittsburgh will always be my home.
Thanks, ladies. Saturday should be a blast for sure!