Photos courtesy the band.
“Montreal’s Intensive Care is an exchange between four musicians from Lebanon, the USA and Canada attempting to bridge the cultural gaps between themselves. They blend King Crimson-esque songwriting with a sound that is inherently modern and fondly informed by eclectic artists such as Grizzly Bear, Wolf Parade, Aimee Mann and Charles Mingus. They have just recorded their sophomore album with Jace Lasek (The Besnard Lakes, Wolf Parade, Suuns). It promises to be raw, explosive and uncompromisingly honest.”
The band is playing Howler’s tonight on a bill with favorites of mine Triggers. My girl at Sour Notes recently featured the band here. Band members Philippe Manasseh and Nadim Maghzal were cool enough to participate in this edition of First/Last.
- The first album you ever bought?
- Phil Manasseh: Michael Jackson – ‘History’.
- Nadim Maghzal: Celine Dion – ‘Falling Into You’.
- Your last album bought?
- Phil: Suuns – ‘Bambi/Red Song EP’.
- Nadim: The Black Angels – ‘Phosphene Dream’.
- Favorite album of all time?
- Nadim: My answer to this question keeps changing, it’s pretty hard to find a #1 “favorite album”. Right now I feel like saying Pink Floyd’s ‘Meddle’.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- Phil: No such thing.
- Nadim: I agree. However, when we get bored on long tour drives, we occasionally feel like listening to a really bad record so we throw on Metallica/Lou Reed’s ‘Lulu’. It’s a lot of fun! You should try it.
- First concert attended?
- Phil: From memory, Elton John at the Roman Citadel of Baalbeck in Lebanon.
- Nadim: Pat Metheny at the Montreal Jazz Fest years ago.
- Last concert?
- Phil: Explosions in the Sky, in Paris.
- Nadim: A blues band in Beirut, Lebanon. I think they’re called “Who Killed Bruce Lee?”
- Favorite concert ever?
- Phil: Radiohead in Montreal (‘In Rainbows’ tour).
- Nadim: The Besnard Lakes in Montreal (‘Are the Roaring Nights’ tour).
- Least favorite concert?
- Phil/Nadim: No comment.
- Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- Phil: Never been, I feel like people act/think differently there.
- Nadim: Never been either but I’m pretty excited to visit.
Thanks guys. Have a good show. Howler’s is a damn fun place to see a show.