“Though only in her 20’s, singer-songwriter Megan Slankard has independently sold nearly 30,000 copies of four independently released CDs. Megan’s newest release, A Token Of The Wreckage (Spring 2011), is “an edgy alt-rock release that is a breath of fresh air” (Maverick Magazine), “gleaming, grooving, and gritty” (Minor 7th), with “thoughtful construction and clever wordplay” (Performer Magazine). The CD, which was recorded with help from David Bryson (Counting Crows) and Jerry Becker (Train), held a spot in the 10-best selling albums on CD Baby for weeks.”
Megan hails from San Fransisco where she enjoys a growing and devoted following. She frequently tours the East Coast and expect to see her here sometime in the new year. My thanks to her for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.
- The first album you ever bought?
- I don’t remember the first album I ever bought, because I kind of just took all of my parents’ CDs. It was probably “Let It Be”.
- Your last album bought?
- Janelle Monae, “The ArchAndroid”. It’s amazing.
- Favorite album of all time?
- “Help”, The Beatles. It’s not their best collection of songs, perhaps, but it’s what started the whole love of music for me. It will always have a special shelf all by itself.
- Least favorite/most disappointing album?
- I honestly couldn’t tell you. I usually just take them out of my iPod and move on amicably.
- First concert attended?
- The Ringo Starr All Star Band with Peter Frampton, Jack Bruce, Gary Brooker, and Simon Kirke. I think I was 14.
- Last concert?
- Glen Phillips of Toad the Wet Sprocket.
- Favorite concert ever?
- Ringo was pretty cool. I also loved King’s X. Counting Crows!
- Least favorite concert?
- I saw Fleetwood Mac with my Aunt and Uncle when I was about 15. While I like the band now, I couldn’t see them over the other general admission folk, and it was a very, very long concert.
- Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
- I don’t have a lot of experience with Pittsburgh yet, but I am really looking forward to exploring it. If anyone has any suggestions on what to see and where to go (especially good vegetarian food) Facebook me!
Thanks, Megan. Sorry I missed your recent house show here in Harmony, PA. Next time for sure!