Meeting Of Important People-S/T
The band’s picture isn’t the first thing you see on this blog by accident. This became my favorite album of the year about two minutes into their CD release show in March and has stayed there ever since. Local, national, heck, even international, this was the best thing I heard all year.
Hallelujah The Hills-Colonial Drones Such a strong sophomore effort from these guys. Can’t wait to see how they grow over time.
Camera Obscura-My Maudlin Career I was admittedly late coming to their party but this album hooked me fast.
Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band-Outer South I’ve grown to love Conor over the last few years but his band of semi-all-stars rise to the occasion on this album. Bill Callahan-Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle This is the wild card of the bunch. I will never be able to explain how or why I dig this so much.
- Kevin Devine-Brother’s Blood I stumbled on this by accident and discovered a great musician and album.
- The Harlan Twins-S/T This should be higher on the list. Probably because it was released later in the year than some others I haven’t digested it enough. Killer disc.
- Norfolk & Western-Dinero Severo N&W start to actually rock out? Love it!
- Jason Lytle-Yours Truly, The Commuter Sounds a lot like Grandaddy to me, which is awesome!
- Good Night, States-In The Impossible Tension An EP on an album list? I listened to this so much it had to be included.
- M. Ward-Hold Time This one crept up on me. Maybe my favorite album of his.
- Grant Lee Phillips-Little Moon I will always love any GLP release. That’s not to say this isn’t a kick-ass album. It is.
- The Clientele-Bonfires On The Heath God Save The Clientele Pt. 2. Good stuff.
- The Rural Alberta Advantage-Hometowns Another surprise. Major expectations for the future.
- Gospel Gossip-Dreamland My favorite band from NAMU. I have been hoping they stop here again the minute they left the stage.
- Wilco-The Album The bastard child of ‘Ghost’ and ‘Sky Blue’. Solid effort.
- The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart-S/T I like this album. It’s all ‘samey’ sounding after awhile but still is really good.
- Telekinesis!-S/T Pure pop. Great debut.
- Fanfarlo-Reservoir May have pulled the gun on this one as I am listening to it to familiarize myself with the upcoming show but it’s real good stuff.
- Monsters Of Folk-S/T High expectations that fell short for sure but it’s still a good record.